Tuesday, July 8, 2008

10. Visit Montpelier.

COMPLETED Spring 2006 but not really.

Montpelier is in Orange County, Virginia, about 21 miles from my house. I've visited there a couple of times over the years. Historically, it's best known as the home of James and Dolley Madison. In the early 1900s, it was purchased by the duPont family, who added 33 rooms to the 22 that had been there before. Those extra rooms have now been removed, and the house is being restored to the condition it was when James and Dolley lived there. I haven't visited since the duPont rooms were removed, which is why I put this item on The Fifty.

As to why I said I have completed this "but not really," I did visit the Montpelier grounds in the spring of 2006; I just did not tour the house. I went to Montpelier as an adult sponsor of the Monticello High School Envirothon team; the team was competing in the regional finals on the grounds of Montpelier. Below are some photos I took in the very impressive gardens as I followed the team during the various rounds of competition. (Though it has no relevance here, the MHS team won that day.) As nice as the gardens are, I still want to go back and tour the house.











No comments: